Letting go of one's commitment


See, if your commitment is going to create problem and bring sorrow to many, then you should drop the commitment. Like a youth told me once, 'I have promised the commander of Lashkar that I will give my life to this organization, I will bring the word of God to anybody and do anything possible to spread this principle.' But when he became peaceful he realized that this is not the correct commitment he gave or he took. 'I don’t want to be involved in violence anymore. But what to do? I have promised on this holy book. What do you do?'


I said, 'No, let go of the commitment because you made the commitment in ignorance.' So there is no point in honouring that commitment which you took in ignorance to engage in violence. Yes, If there is some other commitment you took being so foolish, which doesn’t create such harm to anybody, then you keep it. You weigh the pros and cons and then you follow.

Another person says, 'Yes, I am committed in a marriage and now I have children, but that is an old commitment, I don’t want to do anything now.' You have two kids and now you say, 'I don’t want any commitment, I want to get out of it', then there is no way. Your commitment now is to take care of the children. You can’t run away from that. 

Many people, after being married, after having kids, then they regret, oh I should have been single. I took a wrong commitment. You have no way now, you have to continue. But if you have taken a commitment I will be single and suddenly you change your mind, you want to get married, it is okay because dropping that commitment of yours, you are not harming anybody. So you have to think on those things. Weigh the pros and cons of a commitment.