Righteousness gives you a comfort that nothing else can

Bangalore, February 22, 2012

Jindal Awards at Delhi

(Sri Sri was invited as the chief guest, and to award the prestigeous Sitaram Jindal Awards 2012. The Jindal Awards is intended to acknowledge outstanding service for Indian citizens, with a motto of social upliftment. Sri Sri awarded the prize to Anna Hazare who was one of the 27 recipients of the prestigious award. Sri Sri also spoke to the congregation and said that, righteousness gives you a comfort that nothing else can).

Om Shanti my dear ones who are here to receive the award; on my other hand my dear ones who are giving the award, and the many eyes and ears who have come to witness this.
A budding youth politician came to me in Chennai and he asked me a question, “Guruji, what is the point of being good? What is the use of being good? We see all those who are doing corrupt practices and who are ruthless, are happy. They are moving in their life very well. Why should I be good? Please tell me.”
He said, “See, for example Ravana. He enjoyed all his life and when he died, he attained Moksha. Duryodhana, he ruled the whole kingdom. He ruled India all his life and when he died, he also went to heaven before Yudhisthira. So what is the point of being good? Why you say we should be good?”
This is a big challenging question for anybody - any historian or philosopher. Why should one be good?
I told him, “Look, forget about Duryodhana and Ravana. Have you done something wrong?”
He said, "Yes, Guruji."
“So when you did something wrong, that day could you sleep? Did you enjoy your food?”
“Guruji how can I do that? When I do something wrong, I cannot sleep. I go drink and then get myself drowned in unconsciousness.”
“See, that is what it is. When you do something wrong, you cannot have peace of mind. You cannot sleep. You cannot enjoy the things that life has provided you. So it’s not that being good will give you some reward sometime in the future, it rewards you right now.


Read more at What Sri Sri Said Today
The Art of living
© The Art of Living Foundation