Connection is a matter of heart, explanation is a matter of mind

6 June 2010,
Bangalore Ashram, India


Q: You say that we are all connected. But I feel more strongly connected to you than others. I am sure this is the experience of many of us present here. Can you please explain about that?

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar:
What is it that you want me to explain? Connection is a matter of heart. Explanation and understanding is a matter of mind.

Q: Some of my colleagues talk ill of the ‘Art of Living’. I don’t like this but I ignore them. Can you please guide what should I do?

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar:
What is it that they can talk bad of us? There is nothing. That is all their imagination. You keep on doing what you can. They will also realize. This had also happened with so many saints in the past. Some people liked them and got benefited after getting the knowledge, and some others didn’t like them. How does it matter?
We are teaching. One thing that some people say is why the ‘Art of Living’ courses are paid. ‘Art of living’ is an education. Do you think education should be free? Will people value free education the same way? If education should be free, then all education like medical, engineering, journalism should also be free. If all others are not, why should spiritual education be free? There was concept of Dakshina in the past also. Unless you give dakshina, your education is never complete. And we do so much work in society with the money left after course expenses.
Also this shows how much more work we need to do to improve the society.

Q: What are effects of Past life karma on the present life? I feel I have done sins in past.

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar:
Don’t waste your energy thinking too much on past life karmas. Use your energy to come out of the present problems.
‘Om Namah Shivaye’ mantra, pranayama, Satsang..– All these take care of your previous karmas. Surrender all your sins and move further in life.

Q: Guruji, I am not able to concentrate for my mind is very flickering and playful. What should I do?

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar:
Let the mind go wherever it wants to go.

Q: I lose my temper easily while doing day to day activities, especially if somebody talks bad. What should I do?

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar: Keep your mind calm. But if somebody talks bad, be alert. Reply if needed, but without disturbing your mind. Service, Satsang and sadhana help you keep your mind cool and calm. And know that – Satyamev jayate (Truth always wins). You should not be bothered about events. Keep your mind cool, and continue with this policy.

“That which you cannot express is Love.
That which you cannot reject/renounce is Beauty.
That which you cannot avoid is the Truth.”
~ Sri Sri Ravishankar

art of living TV
© The Art of Living Foundation